The doublet took alot longer than I thought it would.  It seemed very work intensive to me, but that could have been due to the piping we decided to include on all of the waist tabs, and some learning processes along the way.  Also, the bulk of the work was probably done in about two weeks.  40 hours of work in 2 weeks (outside of my full time job) is a challenge.  We didn't even finish it.  The lining on the inside still needs to be attached, etc.  I'd also like to make a new set of shoulder wings for this doublet as well.

Brad helped me by attaching all the buttons on the front, which was a huge time savings.
 
Brad was able to wear the outfit to the MNRF on the last day we went out, which was the last weekend (it was also a muddy weekend).  A few weeks later, he wore it again to the Northstar VSA's Masquerade Ball, with a new cape and mask.  The lining of the cape matched his mask.  I like it so much I'm thinking of keeping it for my own "boy" costume (yes, crossdressing) which is what I bought the lining fabric for orginally.  If there is enough of the wool left to make another cloak for Brad...but I don't think there is enough of it left, so I will probably line this cloak for him to with this outfit, in green, I think.
 
A quick run through on the Venetian breeches, (you can read the nitty gritty on the main page by clicking the "Category" Brad's Breeches.

I was a little confused by the fly instructions, mostly becaue I've never made a pair of pants, so it was probably my own fault.  I still don't have a real clear idea of how this is supposed to work, but I made a pair of breeches and the fly seems to work just fine.  I assume I did something right.

Brad still wants these a little longer, so I should have thought about that before cutting the linen for his next pair of breeches, but I didn't!  Grr!  I'm not sure what I should do about this...cutting another pair would be the easiest, but would waste fabric.  The other alternative is to add some decorative element that adds length to the leg.  I haven't been able to find a period example of this and still am not very clear on what I could do to make this work without re-cutting.
 
Pattern:  Margo Anderson's Elizabethan Gentleman's Wardrobe
We've chosen the pattern with diagonal seams on each front piece.
Also, Brad wanted a slightly longer version of the breeches, which we figured
out after making this first pair.

Fabric: fashion fabric-black and brown mystery brocade,
             lining-olive silk broadcloth lining
             piping-remant of olive silk dupioni

Inspiration: 
Picture
Actually, the above picture has nothing to do with inspiration for tihs particular project, though I hope I can make something like it for Brad one day.  I've loved this picture since the first time I saw it several years ago, before I even knew Brad.  I think the Count (pictured) and Brad look quite alike.
 
I had a page up and ready to go when I accidentally hit the Weebly delete button and found that there were no promps (not that I can remember) if I really wanted to delete all that work or not.  I actually didn't want to delete all the work, and it's taken me until now to even think about starting all over again.

This project started when I thought it would be nice to make the man in my life something new to wear the the Minnesota Renaissance Festival.  I met Brad right before the very last weekend of MNRF 2007.  We hit it off straight away and have been to many costumed events together since then, though I haven't had the chance to make him one single item to wear.  Thus, the inspiration for this project.

Our first plan of action to was find a fabric to make the "mock-up" with.  The 2nd mock-up is more of practice garment than a muslin.  I went through all the steps of a real pair of breeches (simple) and doublet (not difficult, but time consuming) so I'd have more knowledge of how to put the real thing together and so if it turned out well Brad would have something new to wear. 

I started last summer (2009) after taking some time to mentally recoup after planning our wedding in six short months.