So, it's been a while since I've posted.  Last week I tried making a couple mock-ups and though I think with a little more work it might happen, I am giving up on that corset for now. 

I am just sorry I wasted so much time on it, but it was easy to let it go and make a corset from an existing, already drafted up to my size, pattern.  I started out making the Silverado from Laughing Moon, but found a link to some pattern instructions on the Truly Victorian website. 

The instructions were helpful, noting that larger busted figures may prefer to make the Dore, as the fit of the Silverado pushes the bust toward the neck which is not proper when recreating a Victorian figure.  So, though I had cut mock-up pieces for the Silverado, I cut more mock-up pieces for the Dore...then cut the pieces out of coutil and silk.  I got the boning placement marked, and half of the busk inserted before we left for Iowa.

Since I wasn't bringing my machine along, this project wasn't done enough to finish up by hand so I brought The Work Dress and thought I'd work on rebininding the underbodice and/or sewing the velvet guard on... I didn't do very much worth mentioning, got probably half of the guard sewn on the top on the carride home, then it got dark around 4:30 :/  love winter. 

But I'll switch back to corset mode this week...I know putting it together won't be difficult, but it will take time to cut bones, insert the rest of the busk and pound grommets...I'm guessing by the end of the week it should be done, and I've *really* got to kick the bodice making into high gear. after the corset is done.

I signed up for the last of two classes I plan on taking next term and I'm not really looking forward to it, but one positive note would be that I will be that much closer to a degree (after next term 8 classes left). 
04/22/2012 23:24

I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job, Keep it up.

Reply



Leave a Reply.